Friday, June 8, 2012

It's Friday! In the past that meant a lot of things; primarily PAYDAY! it also meant date night number one. If I had a date that is. Many times I would accept a date and then use the excuse that I had to wash my hair to get out of it. One time I actually told the guy I had to wash my dog that night. Tsk Tsk! Friday's do not hold the same meaning these days. They have not for a long time. Being able to spend time in my home studio is a blessing. Having my dogs nearby has been a joy. I can take breaks when I want to; like sitting on the front porch and eating watermelon in the middle of a summer afternoon. Bliss! But on Friday's I still get that twinge sometimes of NO PAY. No regular paycheck. Even though I have not worked a real job in many years, I still miss the ritual of going to the bank each Friday and cashing that check. Not that being a clerical worker paid very much, but it was steady. For 13 years I worked in the same job, in the same office, with the same people. We became like a family of zombies. We did what we had to do, but there was no creativity involved. The reward was Friday and payday. I scrounge around a lot these days to pay this bill or that bill; juggling finances, robbing from Peter to pay Paul. But I must say there is a deep satisfaction in making something from nothing and getting paid for it. Getting paid for something I created with my heart and mind is having that person say they want it, that it is meaningful to them. That's better than Payday. Although, it would be nice to be able to go to the grocery store without having to itemize each little thing and then worrying at check out if I'll have to put something back. That's the dregs, but it's reality I've come to terms with. I won't find fame or fortune working in the studio, creating paintings and sculptures, but as Ray Bradbury said, "do what you love and love what you do." I'm doing it Ray. And now for the image of the little creation I've been working on for a few days and have listed on ebay. It's a 5" tall x 1.5" at the base Italian Greyhound I sculpted out of paperclay and painted in acrylic paint. He's got his little blue footed pj's on and is holding two stuffed bunny toys. He's ready for his forever home. Yeah, paychecks are good, Fridays are good, but making something out of a blob of clay is good too. In memory of Ray Bradbury, 1920 - 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment